Friday, October 2, 2009

Meeting our Emotional Needs

Human beings have emotional needs. Our biggest emotional needs include: belonging, expression/being heard, and love/caring. Emotional health requires taking responsibility for our emotional needs and finding a way to meet them when they present themselves. For example, if I feel sad or hurt about something, it is my responsibility (to myself) to find someone that can listen to and accept that feeling and share with them (expression). If I feel lonely and isolated, it is my responsibility to find something to be a part of this weekend (belonging).

All emotional needs eventually get met- one way or another. Not meeting our emotional needs eventually results in these feelings coming out "sideways"- often when we least expect it. Examples include: angry outbursts, affairs, addictions, and depression.

So... which do we choose: meeting our emotional needs willingly or on our hands and knees?

No comments:

Post a Comment