Monday, January 11, 2010

I pray for not only me, but "For All My Relations"

My spiritual teacher, Bart Anderson, conducted Native American sweat lodges to help get in touch with themselves. He described sweat lodge as a place you go to pray. When praying in lodge, he suggested that I pray for the people that are in my "stream of consciousness" and for the things that I am part of. He said to do this because spirit does not recognize the concept of "I". It does not recognize separation- only connection. It is only us that views ourselves as separate. We create the illusion that we are separate and not connected to "all things."

The Lakota Sioux people pray by saying "Mitakuye Oyas'in" which means "for all my relations." Or, I ask this for not only me, but for all my relations. If you pray this way, he explained, spirit will answer your prayers. It will recognize your prayer as praying for the betterment of your people- which actually means something.

What if we saw ourselves that way all the time. If we expanded our level of consciousness to include all the people that we are a part of. As well, whenever we are in an experience, we encompassed all of the people that were involved in the experience. We could then consider what was best for the whole. Our life and expression would be a walking prayer that spirit would acknowledge and bless. Our life would be in harmony.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful blog that makes so much sense to me. Being reminded of our connection to "all things" is a a great way to start the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never seen that phrase in print ... "Mitakuye Oyas'in" ... beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. It is the Lakota spelling. I looked it up from the book "Black Elk: The Sacred Ways of a Lakota" by Wallace Black Elk. I think I saw it on your bookshelf, Eve.

    ReplyDelete